Saturday, December 10, 2011

Are You Missing Opertunities?

Opportunities? They are all around us.  There is power lying latent everywhere waiting for the observant eye to discover it." Orison Swett Marden

A number of times over the past couple of months I've received comments from photographer friends regarding the "before/after" shots posted on my Flickr site.  Mostly, they are amazed at how relatively drab the original image is compared to the finished one, often adding... "I would have never taken the shot"....




I was surprised at first by the comments....not regarding the amount of change that had occurred because it is in most cases dramatic.  But rather the idea that one would pass by a scene simply because the light was not optimal or it was too cloudy or some other misfortune was plaguing the scene.  I had to remind myself I've been on this journey for a while now.  It is only natural I would be looking at the world around me with a different perspective.  There is an expectation of what I'm feeling or want to feel already being applied in my minds eye as I gaze through the view finder.




I recalled the countless times in the beginning I clicked on the "delete" tab in frustration as I poured over the thumbnails of the day's capture.  A false expectation clouded my perception that the perfectly finished image would be lying there waiting for discovery.   That moment has yet to occur.

However, what has occurred is an ability for me to begin recognizing the "good bones" of a scene....something that I can build upon and hopefully make into something memorable.

A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.    -Ansel Adams



I believe a photographer must at some point learn to move beyond the mechanics and into the artistry of what we capture.  We capture a beginning.....we develop the opportunity....and in the end  we are left with something memorable.  Don't be too quick to discard what you have already captured.  There could be something wonderful there....waiting to be discovered.

3 comments:

  1. so right, john. it's about taking a "scene" and making it a vision. your vision is always magical and captivating. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, John. You have helped me to grow in my ability to bring the image in my mind to life in the photo. The before and afters are extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your John, I like the post. I had to learn this as well and now I am glad I haven't deleted some of my old pics, because now I can value them different.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete